4/15/2016

Lion Dance

First of all, I would like to said thank you to my teammates, Chu Nung Rene (Rene), Soh Wan Feng(Fang Fang), Boo Wee Hang(Vincent), Yew Mei Foong(Emily), Lai Chee Chung(Brandon). We done our presentation! The important is the assignment research part, Thanks to everyone really put effort to finish the assignment.  This assignment although very tough, but we still able to finished our last assignment of Malaysia Media and Culture subject before the day of presentation. We too awesome!! I glad to have a team like this! Through this assignment, I more understand about lion dance, the history, styles, and also the way their perform. I like it so much, because I really admire that how Chinese people keep this traditional art until now. Lion dance not only a performance, it can scare away the evil spirit and bring luck to people. 

Before presentation, we plan to make lion head to perform. But It still very hard to make it. Luckily, we can borrow from Wushu Club. And we also borrow the drum form activity room. I want to thanks to Mettew,  the chairperson of 24 Festive Drums willing to borrow us the drum. Now we able to perform the lion dance with the drum and the lion dance costume although it not full costume. When we got the lion dance costume we tried to clean up for the lion dance costume, because it very dirty and had been long time nobody use it. Emily and Vincent tried to clean up the lion dance costume. 

This is the lion dance costume.

Fang Fang, Emily and I

I color the some part 

Vincent fix it in order the eyes of lion can function

Guess what Vincent did?

The drum 

After fixed the lion dance costume, our teammates tried to practice ourselves form Youtube. But still can not perform properly. Luckily, Vincent asked Roshan to help. Roshan had experiences so he able to taught us.  Thanks to Roshan because he taught us how to dance and also take part of interview for our assignment. We decide to let Brandon played the drum, I became the head of lion and Vincent became the tail of lion. I gain a lot of experiences when practice the lion dance. I realize how performers feel when during the performance. So that why the performer must trained many times to make the lion more steady. We gain the pain, but it worth. 



We practiced together the performance and presentation during before the day of presentation. During the practice,  Rene guided us for the presentation, she arranged the time in order can make the whole presentation not over the time. The perform part was Emily became the monster of "Nian", Fang fang became the villager. The monster want to eat the villager, so the villagers use the lion to scare away the monster" Nian". 

During the presentation day.

Lion dance very important to our culture, As a Chinese, I glad that I can experience how the lion dance work ship through this assignment with my teammates. Once again, I want to thanks to them and also thanks to Mettew  borrow us drum, Chairperson of WuShu Club borrow us the lion dance costume and Roshan taught us to perform. Lastly, I want to thanks to Dr Carmen and Miss Ezatti give us this change to learned and what Malaysia looks like with different view. I appreciate that what I had learned before. Thank you Malaysia. Thank you so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment